Lesson Plan - Waldinger, Still the Promised City?
These are some of the questions you should be able to answer after reading the assigned chapters in Waldinger's book.
- What are two major theories used to explain declining economic position of African Americans in urban centers?
- According to Waldinger, were blacks or African Americans heavily engaged in manufacturing prior to the deindustrialization of NY economy?
- Describe the Waldinger’s labor queue analogy.
- Succession model
- Leapfrogging model
- Persistence scenario
Groups and Niches
- What are economic niches and how do they benefit different groups?
- Do all people participate in economic niches?
- Discuss discrimination and how economic niches support discrimination.
- Describe the economic niches of the following groups:
- West Indians
Who gets the lousy jobs?
- Garment Industry
- Why did African Americans leave the garment industry?
- Why did they leave the hotel industry?
Is Waldinger worried about African Americans?
Criticism of Waldinger